Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Day 28: I Got a Peruvian Friend!

Yes, I got a Peruvian friend finally! My professor posted on Facebook that there are some students who would like to help international students practice Spanish. So I sent two of them a message, and I got to meet one of them before leaving for spring break. His name is Martin. We met at the Starbuck on the campus. He talked a lot faster than I was expecting. I couldn't understand most of what he said. However, I feel my Spanish is improving because I understand more than I did in my first week. Anyway, I enjoyed talking with him. 

During the conversation, I have noticed one thing. In Peru, there are 3 regions, and it is important to know. The 3 regions are Costa (Coast), Sierra (Andes), and Selva (Rain Forest). The regions are very different. Costa is sunny all year around but humid. This region has wide beaches and fertile valleys. It accounts for 11% of national territory and 52% of the population. Sierra accounts for 30% of national territory and 36% of the population. This region is dominated by the Andes. It has dry and temperate weather with huge variations in temperature during the day. Selva accounts for 59% of national territory and 12% of the population. This is a region covered by tropical vegetation and called the Peruvian Amazon. The largest natural reserves in the country are located there. The weather is hot and tropical weather with plenty of rain. Everything, including culture, weather, and food, is different by region. This is one of the most interesting about Peru. 
 I will write about this after traveling throughout the country. 

After the class, my professors gave us students a motivational speech, and I have realized I am really spoiling myself. My first semester in Nebraska was just hard. I had a lot of stresses and depressions. Everything was hard for me to do even printing at the library, getting a sandwich at cafeteria, talking to my American roommate. But I did a lot of challenges. I just went to talk to random people. I attended events. I did many things even though I had fears. When I look back to my past years at UNK, I feel my first semester was the most fun one to me. I enjoy struggles and failures because I can learn from them. After coming back from Mancora, I would like to be more confident to try and willing to fail and learn! I can do this! I know I can do this! 


No comments:

Post a Comment