Thursday, February 11, 2016

Day 36: Made Friends In Mancora

This morning, something unexpected happened. The house was out of water and power. We had no electricity and water. The maid told us that it was because of the rain of a few days ago. Later I found out it was not only in our house, but in both Organos and Mancora. I thought this one a disadvantage living near the ocean.

Anyway, I went to Mancora to eat lunch and shop. At the restaurant near the beach, lunch was only 10 soles for 2 dishes and 1 drink. I got ceviche and fried fish. They tasted very good!

Later we walked around and my friends went home. I decided to stay in Mancora because I was so thirsty and wanted to sit down and drink something. I found a café on the main street and got Lucuma milkshake for there. It was so delicious!


On the way to the bus station, a guy who works for the surfing school recognized me. His name is Jimmy. My friends, Franco and Jean were in the school too so we talked for a while. I enjoyed talking with local people. They didn’t speak English so I had to challenge my Spanish. They sometimes made fun of me because I pretend I understood what they say but I actually didn't. Jean told me about his life. He was born in Mancora. At the age of 13, he had to start working for a market because his family was not rich. In Peru, so many kids are working. I can’t believe this because in Japan, kids cannot work. Every time I see kids are working, I realize how hard it is to make a living in this country. Peru has a lot of beautiful natures and places to visit so it must have a lot of tourism, but people are very poor. It makes me sad, and at the same time it makes me think how I can help this country. (I’m an international studies major so I l am interested in these problems.) I thought it was sometimes good to do things by myself because I can get more chances to meet local people and talk with them. I can learn about their lives. Making friends is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment