Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Day 7: My First Week Is Already Over!


I went to the Jockey Plaza with friends around 11 a.m. We took a taxi and it cost only 7 soles. It usually costs only 10 soles so we found out the price is really depend on a driver. We shopped around Forever 21 and H&M. We had a lunch at a food truck. I got a Peruvian Sushi. It was only 15 soles and made me so full. The sushi was really good too.


The first grammar class was good. We went over the syllabus and mostly talked about the trip we are going to take on Friday. And the class ended 1 hour earlier than it was supposed to be so everything went well today!

1 week has already passed since I came to Peru. So far everything is good except my stomach. Good and healthy food, nice family, perfect weather, and shopping! Unfortunately, I had a stomach problem for 4 days so I could not enjoy the Peruvian food as much as I wanted, but I've been feeling better so I am assuming I will get over with this problem. Also, I have seen some differences between the U.S./Japan and Peru or the difference from what I was expecting.

1. I thought there would be more people who are non-Peruvians in Lima. However, I have seen only a few Westerners and one or two Asians so I thought that was a big difference between the U.S. and Peru.

2. Peru is a lot dirtier and dustier than I was expecting. My favorite white shoes were already ruined so I recommend you not to wear white shoes if you care.

3. The city is super noisy because of both traffic and people. I live in an apartment complex and I see kids playing outside until really late, like 10 p.m.

4. I don't know why but it's cloudy almost every day.

5. People dress up nicely. Women wear heels every wear, even in the house. It's better to bring some nice clothes if you are visiting Lima. I don't see a lot of people wearing tennis shoes or sporty shorts.

These are my discoveries so far. I will try to keep posting as much as possible.

Thank you for reading!


1 comment:

  1. What's the Peruvian sushi like? I've heard that many Peruvians have Japanese ancestry. I've met a few here in California.

    What you wrote about toilet paper not being flushed down the toilet and instead thrown in a trash can is... interesting. I haven't been to Mexico in a long time, but I remember some people doing that there too. I've also seen some Mexican families do that in the U.S. but that was many years ago. I guess it might be common in some places still.

    ReplyDelete