Friday, January 8, 2016

Day 2: Our Adventure

My first day of school! (Though it was just an orientation). They gave us t
he basic info about the Universidad de Peruana Ciencias Aplicadas. And we had a campus tour and lunch at the fancy restaurant in the university (Yes, there is a fancy restaurant in the University.)


Around 2 p.m., we walked around the Primavera area. We went to Vivanda, which is a supermarket. I was surprised that many things like Shampoo and Soap are expensive here. Shampoo costs around 30 soles ($10). Sunscreen costs 50 soles ($17.5).




My host family told me later that supermarkets are more expensive than markets and that Vivanda is an expensive supermarket. So if you are trying to save money, try to do shopping at a market. Also, there were security guards even at the supermarket.

Later we were walking around and trying to find a telephone company around the Primavera and Pollo. Traffic is crazy here. Worse than Tokyo. You hear horn, alarms, and siren everywhere. Drivers are so impatient so you always need to be careful when you cross the street. 

At night we went to the Jockey Plaza by taxi. We asked the driver if we all (6 people) can ride in one car together, and he said okay. We didn't pay any extra money for that. (In the U.S., we have to pay extra money.) It's okay to negotiate with a taxi driver here, and many drivers offer you higher price than it supposed to be so try to negotiate the lower price.

We tried to get a SIM card at a telephone company called Claro!, but they said that we needed an ID. I asked if I could use my passport, but they said no. I guess we need to go with anyone from the host family who is a Peruvian citizen.

We decided to eat at restaurant, Papachos. I had one drink, La China, and a hamburger. It cost 50 soles in total ($14.2). The food was so big and I didn't even finish half.

We moved to the restaurant bar, El Grifo, and had another drink. It was called Machu Picchu.



It's beautiful with three colors. I didn't like the taste because of the strong mint, but I am happy with my experience. If you have a chance to drink this cocktail, go for it! 







No comments:

Post a Comment